Posted by Abdul Alim
Islam, a name given by Allah to this religion (Quran 5:4), is an Arabic word which literally means obedience and peace. ISLAM is derived from the Arabic root “SALEMA”: peace, purity, submission and obedience. So ‘Islam’ would mean the path of those who are obedient to Allah and who establish peace with Him and His creatures. Its follower are called Muslims.
Islam is not a new religion. It is, in essence, the same message and guidance which Allah revealed to all prophets before Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him. Allah says in the Qur’ân:
“Say, `We believe in ALLAH and that which has been revealed to us, and that which was revealed to Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the tribes, and in that which was given to Moses and Jesus and other Prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them and to HIM we submit.” (Qur’ân 3-85)
Six main Articles of faith in Islam
- To believe in the Oneness of Allah.
- To believe in all His Angels.
- To believe in all His Books.
- To believe in all His Prophets.
- To believe in the Day of Resurrection.
- To believe in the Decree of Allah
The Five Pillars of Islam (Declaration of the Islamic Faith)
In order to enter into the fold of Islam i.e. to be Muslim, one has to know, believe, accept totally and sincerely apply the five basic principles (Pillars) on which Islam is based: Ibn Umar narrated that the Messenger of Allah – Prophet Muhammad (P.B.U.H) said: Islam is based on the following five pillars (principles).
- Bearing witness that there is no God but Allah and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah
- Observance of Prayer
- Paying Zakat
- Fasting during Ramadhan
- Pilgrimage to the house of Allah.
Why I believe in Islam
Some Books on Islam
- Islam – Peaceful Religion A Lecture by Hadhrat Mirza Masroor Ahmad, Khalifatul Masih V, Supreme Head of the Worldwide Ahmadiyya Muslim Community delivered at the University D’Abomey – C A L AVI Cotonou, Benin, During his successful visit to Ghana, Burkino Faso, Benin and Nigeria
- Philosophy of the Teachings of Islam:
- Essence of Islam: [ Vol. 1 ] [ Vol. 2 ] [ Vol. 3 (pdf) ] [ Vol. 4 (pdf) ] [ Vol. 5 (pdf) ]
- An Elementary Study of Islam
- Message of Islam
- Islam my religion
- Synopsis of Religious Preaching Part II: [ Islam (1) ] [ Islam (2) ]
- Muhammad in the Bible
- The Philosophy of Revival of Religion
- Victory of Prayer over prejudice
- Punishment of Apostacy in Islam
- Islam – Its Meaning for Modern Man (pdf)
- Why Islam is my choice? – Personal accounts of spiritual journeys (pdf)
- Short Stories of American Converts to Islam (pdf)
- Philosophy of Punishment in Islam