Widgetized Section

Pope Francis: ‘I Believe in God, Not in a Catholic God’

Posted by

Epigraph:

Say, ‘O People of the Book! come to a word equal between us and you — that we worship none but Allah, and that we associate no partner with Him, and that some of us take not others for Lords beside Allah.’ But if they turn away, then say, ‘Bear witness that we have submitted to God.’ (Al Quran 3:65)

Vatican City

Source: International Business Times
By

on October 06 2013 8:51 PM

Pope Francis has been making headlines ever since he was elected the Roman Catholic Church’s leader six months ago, and now he’s getting even more attention. “I believe in God, not in a Catholic God,” he said in an interview, essentially taking a dig at the Catholic Church hierarchy by condemning its “Vatican-centric view.”

“I believe in God, not in a Catholic God. There is no Catholic God, there is God and I believe in Jesus Christ, his incarnation,” the pope said in the interview with the Italian newspaper La Repubblica, as quoted by the Inquisitr. “Jesus is my teacher and my pastor, but God, the Father, Abba, is the light and the Creator. This is my Being. Do you think we are very far apart?”

The 76-year-old Argentinean pontiff added he does not agree with everything his religion stands for: “This Vatican-centric view neglects the world around us,” he said. “I do not share this view, and I’ll do everything I can to change it.”

Pope Francis plans to do so by being more involved with the community. He stated his plan: “The Church is or should go back to being a community of God’s people, and priests, pastors and bishops who have the care of souls, are at the service of the people of God.”

Reference

Additional Reading

1.  See the Muslim Times’ Editor’s comment about this post below.

2.  Is God the Father the Creator, the Trinity as a whole or are there three Creators?

3.  February 2011 Alislam-eGazette: Metaphysics, Religion and Science

Posted by on October 9, 2013. Filed under Catholic Church. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

6 Responses to Pope Francis: ‘I Believe in God, Not in a Catholic God’

1. Zia Shah

October 9, 2013 at 10:50 am

I am so glad that Pope Francis is coming closer to God of Islam and gradually drifting away from the traditional, Triune God of Catholicism.

He has said, “Jesus is my teacher and my pastor, but God, the Father, Abba, is the light and the Creator.”

It is worth while to hear from the Pope that after all Jesus is not the Creator of our universe and hence, in my opinion, not co-eternal or co-equal with God the Father.

The Quranic invitation to the Christians and the Jews has been and will always be:

The Messiah, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad Qadiani, the Founder of the Ahmadiyya Muslim Community, mentions that the non-Muslims especially the Christians have borrowed the concept of God from Islam.

I believe that it is due to the near impossibility for human mind to comprehend a Triune God, as presented by Pauline Christianity.

The Christians have no choice, but to imagine, God the Father, Jesus and the Holy Ghost as separate images in the eye of their mind. For example, Jesus is presented as a young Caucasian man and Michelangelo drew God the Father, in Sistine Chapel, as an old man extending his hand to a young naked man and the Holy Ghost is represented as a dove.

At any rate, the day to day usage of the Unitarian concept of God by the Christian masses, reminds us of the saying, ‘imitation is the best form of flattery.’

The Messiah stated:

The Holy Quran is replete with wisdom and insights and does not contain any portion of babble or frivolous. It explains every necessary detail and provides for all human needs. It is a miracle from every aspect. I am ever ready to demonstrate the miracle and beauty of the Holy Quran to anyone who denies it. These days, concept of God and genuine understanding of monotheism are under fire. The Christians have written a lot about God, but, whatever genuine account they have given is about the true and the living God of Islam and not about a dead, crucified and a humble god. I can declare it with fullest confidence that whoever, will attempt to write about the attributes of God, his or her hand will be forced to come to the God of Islam. This is because each and every particle of our universe gives testimony of this God and the imprint of the God of Islam is also in every human heart and conscience. So, whenever humans endeavor to find God, they are led to the concepts of Islam. This also is indeed an amazing miracle.

Reference:

Malfoozat. Volume one, page 51-52.

2. Fareed Zafar Suraleigh

October 10, 2013 at 11:39 am

I fear the Pope will not last very long if he continue making statement like these.

3. leila

October 10, 2013 at 10:30 pm

I like his statement and it does sound like he’s leaning more towards the god of islam. I pray Allah taala for this Pontiff to find the true path and follows it and brings his flock on board the ship of The Ahmadiyya Muslim Community. I’m sure he and his flock will be most welcomed and comfortable in their new but familiar surroundings like the honey bees that they once were in the past when they followed the real teachings of Isa Ibn Maryam (as)who worshipped Allah alone and not himself or the invented teachings of pauliwood.

4. Ghulam Sarwar

October 11, 2013 at 12:02 am

We thank God that Pope believes in God (in singular). He does not believe in catholic God, probably or surely does not believe in the Protestant God.
    What remains is the Jews God and the Muslims God i.e. Allah, to chose from. We hope he comes around to worship the God Almighty.

Jesus also had said, “There is no one good (none worthy of worship) except the One God.”

Trinity was not preached by Jesus even for one day. The preaching in the name of the son and the spirit and the Father did not mean to make the son and the spirit as gods beside the Father.

The son (Jesus) and the holy spirit (Angel) were just the guides to the Father (the God Almighty) just like we Muslims have “There is no God except Allah. Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.”

In a similar manner, the son and and the holy spirit are messengers only. They are not part of God Almighty. They are carriers of the new message of that time.

5. Fowzia Shah

October 11, 2013 at 2:55 am

I like the word ‘pauliwood’:)

6. ian

December 5, 2013 at 2:27 pm

you and today’s catholics are just the same, full of non-sense tradition.