Widgetized Section

Holy Prophet Muhammad’s Letters to various Kings

Posted by

Source: Page 199 to 215 of Life Of Muhammad by Hazrat Mirza Bashiruddin Mahmud Ahmad

Islamic Books (English) Library @ Alislam.org

After settling down in Medina on return from Hudaibiya, the Prophet (saw) instituted another plan for the spread of his Message. When he mentioned this to the Companions, some of them who were acquainted with the customs and forms observed in the courts of kings told the Prophet (saw) that kings did not entertain letters which did not bear the seals of the senders. Accordingly the Prophet (saw) had a seal made on which were engraved the words, Muhammad Rasulullah (saw).

Out of reverence, Allah was put at the top, beneath it Rasul and lastly Muhammad (saw).

The invitation to Islam was an invitation to believe that God is One and that Muhammad (saw) is His Messenger. Where the letter says that if Heraclius becomes a Muslim, he will be rewarded twice over, the reference is to the fact that Islam teaches belief in both Jesusas and Muhammad (saw).

In Muharram 628, envoys went to different capitals, each with a letter from the Prophet (saw), inviting the rulers to accept Islam. Envoys went to Heraclius, the Roman Emperor, the Kings of Iran, Egypt (the King of Egypt was then a vassal of the Kaiser) and Abyssinia. They went to other kings and rulers also.

The letter addressed to the Kaiser was taken by Dihya Kalbira. The text of the letter which the Prophet (saw) wrote to the Kaiser is to be found in historical records. It runs as follows:

From Muhammad (saw), the Servant of God and His Messenger. To the Chief of Rome, Heraclius. Whoever treads the path of divine guidance, on him be peace. After this, O King, I invite you to Islam. Become a Muslim. God will protect you from all afflictions, and reward you twice over. But if you deny and refuse to accept this Message, then the sin not only of your own denial, but of the denial of your subjects, will be on your head. “Say, ‘O People of the Book! come to a word equal between us and you that we worship none but Allah, and that we associate no partner with Him, and that some of us take not others for lords beside Allah.’ But if they turn away, then say, ‘Bear witness that we have submitted to God’ ” (Zurqani ).

========================================
Must Read: “Life of Muhammad (saw) @ www.Alislam.Org (Click to read)
========================================

LETTER TO THE KING OF IRAN

The letter to the King of Iran was sent through ‘Abdullah bin Hudhafara. The text of this letter was as follows:

In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. This letter is from Muhammad (saw), the Messenger of God, to Chosroes, the Chief of Iran. Whoever submits to a perfect guidance, and believes in Allah, and bears witness that Allah is One, and has no equal or partner, and that Muhammad (saw) is His Servant and Messenger, on him be peace. O King, under the command of God, I invite you to Islam. For I have been sent by God as His Messengersa to all mankind, so that I may warn all living men and complete my Message for all unbelievers. Accept Islam and protect yourself from all afflictions. If you reject this invitation, then the sin of the denial of all your people will rest on your head. (Zurqani and Khamis).

==========================================================
Worth a watch: The Life of Prophet Muhammad: A BBC Documentary  (Click to watch)
==========================================================

THE LETTER TO THE NEGUS

The letter to the Negus, King of Abyssinia, was carried by ‘Amr bin Umayya Damrira. It ran as follows:

In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful, Muhammad (saw), the Messenger of God, writes to the Negus, King of Abyssinia. O King, peace of God be upon you. I praise before you the One and Only God. None else is worthy of worship. He is the King of kings, the source of all excellences, free from all defects, He provides peace to all His servants and protects His creatures. I bear witness that Jesus, son of Mary (as) was a Messenger of God, who came in fulfilment of promises made to Mary by God. Mary had consecrated her life to God. I invite you to join with me in attaching ourselves to the One and Only God and in obeying Him. I invite you also to follow me and believe in the God Who hath sent me. I am His Messenger. I invite you and your armies to join the Faith of the Almighty God. I discharge my duty hereby. I have delivered to you the Message of God, and made clear to you the meaning of this Message. I have done so in all sincerity and I trust you will value the sincerity which has prompted this message. He who obeys the guidance of God becomes heir to the blessings of God (Zurqani).

==============
Know Prophet Mohammad Mustafa (May Peace and Blessings of Allah be upon Him) who is referred to as Nabi-e-Kareem (Chief of Prophets), Khatamun Nabiyyeen (The Seal of Prophets), Khatamul Ambiya (Leader of the elect), Khatamul Mursileen, (Pride of the Prophets), the Siraj-ul-Muneer, the Rahmatul-Lil-Alameen (Mercy for all Mankind)…

His Holiness The holy prophet (saw) has been called “The Paraclete” & “Comforter”, “Spirit of Truth”, see John, 12:13, 14:16, 17, 15:26, 16:7 in the Holy Bible. Also at ISA 9:6 he is refered as the “Counselor”, “The Holy Spirit”…

Coming of Mohammad was foretold in clear and precise terms by Abraham, Jesus, Moses, Solomon, Isaiah, and many other great past prophets, including the prophets of Hinduism, Buddhism, etc. too; proofs are available in their books which proves the status of His superiority over all the other Prophets, as perceived by them @ http://www.alislam.org/holyprophet/

Click to Read: The Prophet Muhammad in the Vedas

==============

LETTER TO THE RULER OF EGYPT

The letter to Muqauqis was carried by Hatib ibn Abi Balta‘ara. The text of this letter was exactly the same as that to the Roman Emperor. The letter to the Roman Emperor said that the sin of the denial of the Roman subjects would be on his head. The letter to the Muqauqis said that the sin of the denial of the Copts would be on the head of the ruler. It ran as follows:

In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. This letter is from Muhammad (saw), the Messenger of Allah, to Muqauqis, the Chief of the Copts. Peace be upon him who follows the path of rectitude. I invite you to accept the Message of Islam. Believe and you will be saved and your reward will be twofold. If you disbelieved, the sin of the denial of the Copts will also be on your head. Say, “O People of the Book! come to a word equal between us and you that we worship none but Allah, and that we associate no partner with Him, and that some of us take not others for lords beside Allah. But if they turn away, then say, ‘Bear witness that we have submitted to God.’” (Halbiyya, Vol. 3, p. 275).

============================================
Click to read: Muhammad: The Story of A Prophet and Reformer

Click to read: Did Prophet Muhammad kill 700 Jews?
============================================

LETTER TO CHIEF OF BAHRAIN

The Prophet (saw) also sent a letter to Mundhir Taimi, Chief of Bahrain. This letter was carried by ‘Ala’ ibn Hadramira. The text of this letter has been lost. When it reached this Chief, he believed, and wrote back to the Prophet (saw) saying that he and many of his friends and followers had decided to join Islam. Some, however, had decided to stay outside. He also said that there were some Jews and Magians living under him. What was he to do about them?

The Prophet (saw) wrote again to this Chief thus:

I am glad at your acceptance of Islam. Your duty is to obey the delegates and messengers whom I should send to you. Whoever obeys them, obeys me. The messenger who took my letter to you praised you to me, and assured me of the sincerity of your belief. I have prayed to God for your people. Try, therefore, to teach them the ways and practices of Islam. Protect their property. Do not let anyone have more than four wives. The sins of the past are forgiven. As long as you are good and virtuous you will continue to rule over your people. As for Jews and Magians, they have only to pay a tax. Do not, therefore, make any other demands on them. As for the general population, those who do not have land enough to maintain them should have four dirhams each, and some cloth to wear. (Zurqani and Khamis).

============================================
Click to read: The Holy Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and Leo Tolstoy

‘Life of Muhammad’ PBS Series Explores Prophet Mohammad’s History

The Astonishing Story of Muhammad at Brampton Rose Theater

Muhammad: A Messiah for Our Time, By Khushwant Singh
============================================

Uman, the Chief of Yamama, the King of Ghassan, the Chief of Bani Nahd, a tribe of Yemen, the Chief of Hamdan, another tribe of Yemen, the Chief of Bani ‘Alim and the Chief of the Hadrami tribe. Most of them became Muslims.

These letters show how perfect was the Prophet’ssa faith in God. They also show that from the very beginning the Prophet (saw) believed that he had been sent by God not to any one people or territory, but to all the peoples of the world. It is true that these letters were received by their addressees in different ways. Some of them accepted Islam at once. Others treated the letters with consideration, but did not accept Islam. Still others treated them with ordinary courtesy. Still others showed contempt and pride. But it is true also—and history is witness to the fact—that the recipients of these letters or their peoples met with a fate in accordance with their treatment of these letters.

Images of letters that claim to be original copies of the above:

Suggest reads:

Muhammad in The Bible (pdf) by Hazrat Mirza Bashir-ud-din Mahmud Ahmad, Khalifatul Masih II

Muhammad the Liberator of Women by Hazrat Mirza Bashir-ud-din Mahmud Ahmad, Khalifatul Masih II

The Seal of Prophets – His Personality and Character | mp3 by Hazrat Mirza Tahir Ahmad, Khalifatul Masih IV

True Love for the Holy Prophet(sa) (pdf) by  Hazrat Mirza Masroor Ahmad, Khalifatul Masih V

Exemplary Compassion of The Holy Prophetsaw by  Hazrat Mirza Masroor Ahmad, Khalifatul Masih V

Letter of Mohammad (saw) to Persians (from Kasra) inviting them to Islam

Letter sent to An-Najaashi – the ruler of Abbysinia

Muhammad-saw-Letter-To-Heraclius

Prophet-Muhammads-Peace-be-upon-him-letter-to-Musailma-bin-Kazzab-Topkapy-Museum-Turkey

The Life & Character of the Seal of Prophets(sa) – Vol. 1 (pdf) by Selected Books of Hazrat Mirza Bashir Ahmad, M.A.

Wisdom of The Holy Prophet (pdf 2MB) by Sir Muhammad Zafrulla Khan

The Excellent Exemplar – Muhammad (pbuh) by Sir Muhammad Zafrulla Khan

Muhammad: Seal of the Prophets by Sir Muhammad Zafrulla Khan

Posted by on February 4, 2013. Filed under Asia,Islam,Muhammad,Saudi Arabia. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

42 Responses to Holy Prophet Muhammad’s Letters to various Kings

1. WAMIN-AAYAATIHI

March 3, 2013 at 7:54 pm

MUHAMEDDUN RASULULLAAH S.A.W I BELIEVED IS THE FIRST OF ALL FROM ALLAH.

2. leila

May 20, 2013 at 4:39 am

wow! I heard and read about some of these letters to the various kings and leaders, I’ve never actually seen the original text. I’m amazed how the arabic writing was written and understood without punctuation.Subhannallah..nice article TMT

3. Amtul Q Farhat

May 20, 2013 at 5:13 am

Do we have these letters preserved somewhere?

4. Rafiq A. Tschannen

May 20, 2013 at 9:50 am

I think one or two are in the Topkapi Museum in Istanbul

5. K T Shamim

July 21, 2013 at 1:19 am

The seal of the Prophets, Muhammad Mustafa, Ahmad Mujtaba, Messenger of Allah peace and blessings of Allah be upon him a thousand and 10-thousand fold.

6. Abdul Ahad

July 21, 2013 at 10:10 pm

Peace, fellow readers!
    I am truly awe-struck at being able to see the images of documents that are claimed to be the physical remnants of invitations to great leaders to tread a new path — the path of salvation — by our Prophet (Peace and Blessings of God be showered on him)! The imprint of the Prophet’s (PBUH) personal seal is awe-inspiring, as well.
    We must note the calm ‘Peace to all who do right’ benediction which sets the tone of each letter. All our present-day efforts to spread the message should strike the same tone.
    May the world soon recognize the one true faith — Ameen!
    Peace to all who seek the Truth!

7. Maryam Garba

October 4, 2013 at 12:12 am

From the contents of these letter, one can see what a peaceful man our beloved prophet was. Whoever therefore said Islam was spaded by sword, says so out of mischief. Look at the how he instructed a king to collect only tax from the Jews and nothing else.

This leave me to wonder where does all the so called extremist got their ideologies from and also wonder about the bitter hatred of Islam by the Jews.

If Muslims could live life in accordance to the example of the prophet, we could have win the world.

8. leila

October 13, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I love the simple seal of the prophet Muhammad(saws) Khattam annabiyeen( Allah above and rasool Muhammad(pbuh)
    Today ,there are numerous seals by different nations and tribes bearing their seals anything from eagles to vultures, to falcons , to swords to bears and all kinds of animals and weird objects , and then there’s the khattam of Promised Messiah and Imam Mahdi Ghulam Ahmad(as) Is not Allah sufficient for thee(alleissa Allahu bikafin abdah. Which of these seals resemble Allah above and his Rasool’s khattam or khittim or khattim of the prophets? just wondering

9. Zubair Khan

October 21, 2013 at 11:50 pm

One should strive to find out where actually these letters are preserved. I was unable to verify in Istanbul. May be Ms Salma J Khan can help further.

10. Shehu Abubakar

October 22, 2013 at 2:16 am

very interesting, i will forward to seeing this letter of history.

11. Ali mUHAMMED

October 22, 2013 at 7:48 pm

alhamdulillah

12. Riyaz

October 25, 2013 at 3:15 am

Subhanallah….I am very lucky to see all the letters written by our beloved Prophet Huzoor (SAWS)

13. Kitwana khamis

October 28, 2013 at 6:17 am

Alhamdulillah. Ma’shallah!

14. Nazifi Aliyu

October 31, 2013 at 10:15 am

The greatest man to have ever lived, our beloved prophet Muhammad PBUH, I am proud to be his follower, I wish to die as his believer, n to be resurrected in his envoy, just as we sight this letters may Allah SWT grant us the serenity to sight our prophet PBUH. La ilaha illa llah, muhammadur rasulullah SAW

15. Mehmud Ahmed

November 2, 2013 at 7:48 am

The letter addressed to Amir Mundhir Taimi of Bahrain decorated Lounge I of the Island’s International
    Airport. I saw it in 1978 while in transit en route
    Baghdad. It was carved in cement relief on the whole wall with a large 2×1.5′ coloured photograph embeded
    in the lower left hand corner. It was there until
    1980 but I did not find it in 1986 while in transit to Sharjah from Cairo. On inquiries it was found that the Government had removed it after the Mullas objected to to its display in a place where passengers were allowed to “smoke and drink alchohl which was a sacrilege”. A fellow passenger, a lady who was assistant to the Curator of Bahrain Museum
    told me that the original was on display in the main Museum. In 1980, a Bahraini business house (I gorget the name now) published a one page calender on card board with a facsimile of the letter. I it framed it and presented it to a Library in Islamabad.

16. Shenaz Noorany

November 3, 2013 at 12:45 am

Alhamdulillah I’m so lucky to be a Muslim and I pity those people and the leaders who did not accept islam.if ALLAH SWT wills InshaAllah the letters will be preserved through time.May ALLAH SWT always guide us and keep us on the straight path.ameen

17. shorif uddin

November 13, 2013 at 8:03 am

I love god

18. k.ali akbar

November 15, 2013 at 12:20 am

Today one of the good day for me to see the letters of Muhammad s.a w.thank uu

19. tariq khurshid

November 24, 2013 at 4:58 am

mashaallah

20. Murad hajj

December 3, 2013 at 3:12 am

Subhanallah…. I am so lucky to see the letter written by our beloved prophet {SAW} am very glad and am pround to be muslim.

21. Sohail Awan

December 4, 2013 at 1:18 am

Its pleasure to me, that I have seen these letters.

22. Umar

December 4, 2013 at 4:54 am

Am glad to be on this side…

23. khalilurahman abdulsalam

December 7, 2013 at 2:53 am

i enjoy this.

24. khalilurahman abdulsalam

December 7, 2013 at 2:57 am

thank you for giving me and people this letter to read. i was sanding with somebody i was browsing is and he cause that jealous is their god.

25. musa makana

December 7, 2013 at 3:15 pm

MashaAllah

26. Ayaz reyaz Wani

December 12, 2013 at 10:05 am

I am very luckey as I have seen these letters

27. Umar Adam

December 15, 2013 at 8:04 am

I live in Uganda but got a chance to view one the letters from a Turkish museum in Istanbul it was the best thing i had ever seen in life

28. Abdullah H. Ibrahim

December 15, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Indeed there is no God but Allah, the one true cherisher of the universe and both jesus and Muhammad (pbuh) are his messengers. Allah is far too pure to beget or begotten, you better take heed o! you christians, because u are spritually blinded from seeing the truth by your severally edited bible.

29. Mahmood Ahmad Syed

December 16, 2013 at 3:29 am

AOA I feel privileged and lucky to have seen letters written to Kings by Hazrat Muhammad Mustafa SAW.

30. Mohammed Maiwada Goga

December 19, 2013 at 6:01 am

Inna Llaha wa mala’ikatihi yusalluna alnnabiy, Ya ayyuhallazina amanu sallu alayhi wa sallam taslima.
    Muhammadur Rasulullah S.A.W.

31. Hassan jamil

April 21, 2014 at 1:28 pm

I thank allah for making me to be a muslim may allah take my soul as muslim.may thee guide and protect muslims wherever they are.peace and blessing be upon prophet muhammad and his family,companions with those that follow him till the day of judgement.my regard to muslims brothers and sisters

32. Umar Balarabe

May 1, 2014 at 4:21 am

Alhamdu lillahil lathi hadaana bil IMAN.

33. farzana khanum

May 10, 2014 at 7:18 pm

iam very lucky to see the letters written by our beloved prophet muhammad(saw)

34. abdulgafoorshaikh

May 30, 2014 at 11:40 pm

Alhamdulliah iam proud to say that i have seen MUHAMMED.SAS.hand writting

35. Abdul Majid Parray.

June 20, 2014 at 4:05 am

All praise be to Allah and may peace and blessings of Allah be upon his prophet Mohammad saw.
    This is so wonderful website.

36. Abdul Majid Parray.

June 20, 2014 at 4:09 am

I think i am so lucky muslim because i had seen these letters.

37. eleshinla samsondeen salaudeen

July 3, 2014 at 2:20 am

ALHAMDULILHLAHI for today special in my live, The day that i saw direct massages, language $ handwritting from PROPHET MOHAMMED (S.A.W). I wish contineu to see more. JAZAQUM QUERAN.

38. sanavulla

July 6, 2014 at 10:44 pm

allahu akber i feel very happy to see the letters of mohammad( saw)

39. Hajisaidulislamkhan

July 11, 2014 at 10:05 pm

Download

40. karimoon

July 14, 2014 at 9:28 am

masha’allah
    I am proud to be a muslim
    jazakallah khair

41. kalam siddique

July 21, 2014 at 9:24 am

Today I am Lucky to see that letter of Mohammed salallah alayihiwasallam written later alhamdolilah

42. Mysarah

August 11, 2014 at 3:41 pm

Masha Allah!…it gives me goose bumps just to look at the images of the texts. My question is who actually helped our Prophet (saw) to write since he was illiterate?
    Jazakallahi khair.